Tuesday 5 August 2008

About me

Excerpts from www.alevelphysics.info

My name is Kai Meng. I grew up in Singapore, a small island country in South-east Asia. It is just 1 degree north of the equator, so you can imagine that it is very hot. I spent most of my childhood eating chicken rice and durians, two of the most famous food there. Somehow, I got very interested in physics at the age of ten. The interest stayed with me all my life. When I was 19 years old, I came to England and studied physics at Cambridge University. I had the most enjoyable time. I stayed for 7 years and did both my BA and PhD degrees. This is a photo of Gonville and Caius College, my college in Cambridge, and a photo of Cavendish Laboratory, where I learnt a lot of physics.


Caius College (courtesy of rossgoesabroad.blogspot.com)


Cavendish Lab (courtesy of www.phy.cam.ac.uk/alumni/)

After graduation, I went back to Singapore and worked as an engineer for 14 years. At the age of 40, I came back to England to do research in physics. I am currently doing a postdoc in accelerator physics. I do calculations that help in the design of the the International Linear Collider. This will be a huge accelerator that hopes to answer some very fundamental questions, like how the universe started. If you are interested, you can find more information here: www.linearcollider.org

If you have any feedback or suggestion, I shall always be happy to hear from you.

No comments: